On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:25, Jing Bai <jingbaibe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The wikis we use are xpages wikis that run on Domino servers. USA IDC hosts
> the WIKI for all Lotus products, such as Lotus Connections, LotusLive,
> Symphony, Sametime and etc. There is a STSM named John Hunt who wrote the
> code to transform DITA into DXML (the xpages source code) for wiki pages.
> Here is one demo on how we publish the product documentation in Wikis:
> http://cdcontent.lotus.com/lotused/lnl_doc-to-wiki_enablement/lnl_doc-to-wiki_enablement.htm
>
> Publishing product documentation in wikis lets us provide accessible
> documentation in a friendly and easy-to-use format where customers can
> comment directly against topics and even update the instructions. Writers
> can review that feedback and incorporate appropriate changes into source
> files for the next product release. Using wikis lets IBM consolidate
> product information while fostering a greater sense of community between
> IBMers, business partners, and customers.
> We may reuse the WIKI platform in USA IDC, setup one area for AOO if
> necessary. I would like to ask USA IDC, if this is feasible.
>

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012, Jing Bai wrote:
>
>> In the future, we would like to promote the WIKI help console to the
>> community if appropriate. Since it is more collaborative, but to make it
>> happen, the file format would be changed into DITA, if anyone is
>> interesting in it, I would like to provide an article on its details.

Betsy,
Thanks for your replies.

I think the wiki solution is a good one (especially since most of it
exists now and only needs to be revised for AOO), so I hope it can be
set up and interested people can learn how to use it. Several new
members of the group have expressed interest and even experience in
working with DITA.

However, I also think many of the volunteers who worked on user guides
for OOo -- if they choose to work on AOO docs -- prefer to work in AOO
itself and produce user guides that demonstrate (some of) what one can
do with the product as a publishing system. So there is scope for the
online docs and user guides. The user guides could be derived from the
online docs (with an Apache license) or derived from the existing OOo
docs (with a CC-BY license and probably hosted elsewhere, as discussed
some time ago on this list).

Aside: I know that it is possible to produce book output from DITA
files, but in my experience online material doesn't always produce the
most useful content for a sequential document like a book. In other
words, the issues are editorial, not technical.

Which way we go, and indeed whether people want to do user guides at
all, depends on who wants to get involved. For the record, I much
prefer to work in AOO itself, but I am interested in learning about
the DITA/wiki system and investigating content reuse possibilities.

--Jean