Rob Weir wrote:
In any case, I don't see any good reason to hold back Pootle access
from those who want to start this work now.

Last time I checked, https://translate.apache.org/ (which, if I got it right, is the candidate Pootle server) only allowed committers to login. This might be OK in the long run, but it could be a chicken-and-egg problem for the time being, meaning that people who only help with translations couldn't make enough contributions so far to be voted in as committers. Workarounds are possible, anyway: for example, PO files can be downloaded, translated offline and then attached to an issue.

Regards,
  Andrea.