Ariel, Rob...

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arie...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:45:54PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi all--
> > >
> > > With Rob's request to add a page about the current NL mailing lists, I
> took
> > > a look at:
> > >
> > > http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/
> > >
> > > for additional information.  Of course, it's not up to date.
> > >

> > I love the opening line: "This document looks complicated but it is not"
> >
> > > It would be REALLY great if someone could edit this page/area
> appropriately
> > > given OpenOffice's ASF context. Thanks.
> > >

> > The NLC was described as "composed of those projects working on all
> > aspects related to the localization and support of OpenOffice.org,
> > including localization, QA, support, documentation, and marketing"
> >
> > From what I understand, this was hierarchical/bureaucratic NLC, with
> > defined roles, levels, process, elected leaders,etc.  Do we want to
> > recreate some part of that formality at Apache?  It is not my personal
> > preference, but we did that with the community forum volunteers and no
> > one seems to have died.

Rob -- I have no opinion about this one way or another. As far as I'm
concerned, whatever works. We must take care to not assume or designate NL
"area leaders" as official representatives though, I think.

> IMO the Forum was a different case, it was already a working structure.
> The NLC is in a rather different situation, most people listed in
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html is not working here,
> the NLC as a structure can be considered dead, so it is a good chance to
> start anew and not repeat old mistakes.

OK, Ariel, thanks for the information -- that was my assumption also.
Perhaps as a first start we should remove the  "project contacts" as was
done with the other former projects.

> + 1 to follow the Apache Way here
> - 1 to bringing back the old hierarchical structure here at this new
>  Apache home

OK...thanks for the input.

> Concerning that web page http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/ is now
> completely obsolete, it can be removed.

Well I think such a landing page provides some value -- for at least
explaining what this area would hope to accomplish, what the objectives,
are, and what Apache OpenOffice is able to provide in the way of support.

Currently, this page is indeed WRONG, but I would like to see what Kevin
SIsco can come up with. I know there was recently quite a long thread about
the N-L projects. We need to review what was discussed there.

... and regards to you!

> Regards
> --
> Ariel Constenla-Haile