On Mar 17, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> Ariel, Rob...
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <arie...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi *,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 04:45:54PM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>> took

>>> I love the opening line: "This document looks complicated but it is not"

>> appropriately
>>>>

>>> The NLC was described as "composed of those projects working on all
>>> aspects related to the localization and support of OpenOffice.org,
>>> including localization, QA, support, documentation, and marketing"
>>>
>>> From what I understand, this was hierarchical/bureaucratic NLC, with
>>> defined roles, levels, process, elected leaders,etc.  Do we want to
>>> recreate some part of that formality at Apache?  It is not my personal
>>> preference, but we did that with the community forum volunteers and no
>>> one seems to have died.
>>

> Rob -- I have no opinion about this one way or another. As far as I'm
> concerned, whatever works. We must take care to not assume or designate NL
> "area leaders" as official representatives though, I think.
>

>> IMO the Forum was a different case, it was already a working structure.
>> The NLC is in a rather different situation, most people listed in
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/native-lang.html is not working here,
>> the NLC as a structure can be considered dead, so it is a good chance to
>> start anew and not repeat old mistakes.
>>

> OK, Ariel, thanks for the information -- that was my assumption also.
> Perhaps as a first start we should remove the  "project contacts" as was
> done with the other former projects.
>

>> + 1 to follow the Apache Way here
>> - 1 to bringing back the old hierarchical structure here at this new
>> Apache home
>>

> OK...thanks for the input.
>

>> Concerning that web page http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/ is now
>> completely obsolete, it can be removed.
>>

> Well I think such a landing page provides some value -- for at least
> explaining what this area would hope to accomplish, what the objectives,
> are, and what Apache OpenOffice is able to provide in the way of support.
>
> Currently, this page is indeed WRONG, but I would like to see what Kevin
> SIsco can come up with. I know there was recently quite a long thread about
> the N-L projects. We need to review what was discussed there.
>
> ... and regards to you!

I am a big -1 on removing the page - http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/

I spent a HUGE amount of effort making sure that all of the NL sites remained
available should anyone return. It would be a horrible shame to remove this
page which is the ONLY map we have on the ooo-site to all of the NL sites.
There is an out of date MediaWiki page with the same information.

I agree we should lose the names. It has been discussed. Any committer can do
it.

I agree with Kay, let's see what Kevin Sisco offers.

Regards,
Dave