Rob,

Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Claudio Filho <filh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> 2012/5/6 Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>:
>>> And same here.  An official project account should be linking back to
>>> the project website, not to www.escritoriolivre.org.
>> Rob, remember that we *haven't* infra yet. When we have a pt-br list,
>> naturally we will use it.
>>

> We have a page here: http://www.openoffice.org/pt-br/

<snip>

 I understand that OpenOffice.org did things differently here.  In some
> sense they compensated for strong corporate control of the code by
> giving more autonomy to the NLC.  That was how they "achieved peace"
> with the community,  But we don't have that issue here.   At Apache
> everyone has equal freedom to work directly within the project.

Sun's Hamburg team lead and, initially, the US elements, considered the NL
projects as at best walled gardens and at worst a waste of time. I had to
proceed very cautiously with them, until such a point that momentum took over.

And it took over:-) The LO/TDF contingent that left was almost entirely the NLC
population. Put another way, the NLC were not a palliative, or if it was
thought by some to be such, was a rather lousy one. Rather, they were vehicles
to seek a sustainable community independent of any one company.

The element that *was* mean to bring in people were the extensions, though
these too were not palliative. But this too took a rather long time to realise
and put into effect, and as some here can attest, it too was proceed with
cautiously.

But I totally agree with your point that here, in Apache-land, things are
fundamentally different and more open, as governance is accountable to Apache
and is not directed by the business needs of any single company owning the
code. The transition to this model is right now going rather well, all things
considered. But what will make the deciding difference, I believe, is to build
the ecosystem anew.

Louis