On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 07:45 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> And so you posted questions on his blog, seeking clarifications on
> methodology, and he responded.

        Apparently my general concern around promoting such content as being
FUD per-se is hard to answer :-) The only interesting thing to me about
this rather silly type of accusation is the simultaneous strenuous
criticism of such things, while doing them yourself :-)

        Anyhow lets look at the rather tangential issue of my blog allowing
comments:

>    Ironically, this is something that is not possible for readers
> of your blog to do, since you do not permit comments.

        Uninteresting as it is - I've been blogging since 1999 and happen to do
it in emacs, in a plain text format; and I host it as flat files: that's
a habit I have no interest in breaking for some hideous, newfangled
databased backed, hosted service etc. :-) But I like feedback, and
update entries with it as/when people send it in, my blog page footer
reads:

        "I encourage linking back (of course) to help people decide for
         themselves, in context, in the battle for ideas, and I love
         fixes / improvements / corrections by private mail."

        Back in the day, people used to discuss and cross link their blogs, and
use E-mail - perhaps I'm stuck in that past. As I say, I hear a lot of
"FUD allegations" coming from various people - yet seldom any sort of
reasoned or detailed rebuttal. I would expect such a thing to happen in
a blog entry elsewhere that I can link to in an interesting, civil
discussion, as we go deeper on any given topic over time.

        No doubt it is mutually frustrating to misunderstand how to interact
with my blog posts ;-) I'm sorry if that is so, I am happy to link to
contrary data along with a discussion of it, that would be my pattern
here eg. http://www.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2012-03-14.html if you have
a response backing up your claim, I'd be happy to link to it & continue
the debate.

        But I suspect all of that is rather beside the point. Statistics are a
very useful tool for comparisons, but they (clearly) have to be used
carefully; I try to do that, and try to show my working too so others
can decide for themselves.

        All the best,

                Michael.

--