On May 18, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On May 18, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:

>>> Sounds like a great idea, if, the reason for this project is simply to
>>> scratch an itch - in other words if the goal here is to build the
>>> software and then not really concern ourselves with who uses it, because
>>> that is outside of the scope of this project and left to others to do
>>> (and a valid position, perhaps) then I'd say sure, that sounds like one
>>> good avenue to work on. In that scenario of the reason for the project
>>> we don't care really about building local teams, only in the work
>>> product.
>>>
>>> //drew
>>
>> I was thinking of a bootstrap.  At the moment, if all the policies and
>> procedures and process descriptions are in English, then all your NL
>> communities must start with a person who's capable in both English and
>> the target language.  If, on the other hand, you mass-produce
>> translations of those policies and procedures and process descriptions
>> into multiple languages and put them on NL root pages, you've widened
>> your community-founding pool.
>>
>> Yes, scratching an itch.  And prying open a door.
>
> I like your idea here. It can be done. If the translation is bad then a
> Native Language speaker might scratch their itch for better language.

It may not be very difficult to do this. A script can be written to use Google
Translate to make translations of the current brand.mdtext and topnav.mdtext.
I've been planning to rewrite the main page as mdtext. If other pages are in
mdtext as well then it will be easy to automatically translate. This becomes
the first pass.

This itch has been getting stronger, I'm going to need to scratch it next week
sometime. $Job needs some time first.

Regards,
Dave