On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to do some work on the "Distributor FAQ" (up soonish on the
> wiki for comments) and have come to a bit of an issue with regard to the
> actual display and download areas of our "official" logos. (If this has been
> discussed before, please excuse me here.)
>
> On the website, the "official" logo is here:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/

That is a 300x150px PNG file.   So I believe that is only a copy of
our official logo.   The original logo should be a vector image, like
SVG.

> However, we are no longer using this, yet I think it's still considered an
> "official" logo.

Isn't that logo used in OOo 3.3, and we continue to distribute OOo 3.3?

> We have a  reference to the new "Get It Here"
> on our Trademarks page
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/trademarks.html
>
> which references the "project" directory
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/images/get-it-here/en.png

So that logo is a small PNG as well, not the original source.  Drew
posted the source file on the wiki.

> So, two questions...
>
> -- should any logos that we currently use on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.x+-+Logo+Explorations
>
> be moved to the project images area as well.
>
> I'm thinking only of the one we currently use on the web server, and maybe
> the older one as well.
>

> -- do we want to change
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/art/galleries/logos/
>
> only the logos that are *in* the project images area.

OK.  So as you point out, what we have today is a mess ;-)

I'd recommend that we aim for a single location for the image source
files.  So, we have a place where we can keep the original source
files for any important logos. This would include our current
"official" logos, our accessory logos like the "Get it here!" logo, as
well as source for the legacy logos.  Why bother with legacy logos?
Because they may have graphical elements that we want to reuse in
future logos.   If we can't find source for a particular logo, then we
store the highest resolution, least compressed version of the bitmap
image that we can find.

If we have the original source collected in some consistent way then I
think we can be less concerned about the rasterized versions.  There
might be several places where these are stored.  (And they are not so
much "stored" as "used".)  For example, one might be on the website
(ooo-site in Subversion) while another copy might be in a product
directory because it is used in the UI.  Another version might be on
the wiki, or on the blog's media library.   There may be some
advantages to trying to clean this all up and say here is the single
one place where the raster images are stored, but that sounds like a
lot of work.  And in some cases this might not be possible, since the
image may need slight tweaking.  For example, one use might need an
alpha transparency channel, while another use needs an explicit white
background.

-Rob