Hi Kay,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:45:18AM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> ummm...two things on this...
>
> -- there was quite a long discussion on Java 7 that started in Jan.
> and ultimately resulted in this post  on June 19 from Ariel re Java
> 7 stating that using java 7 didn't seem to cause issues
>
> http://markmail.org/thread/l2vhaqn7d6xvbfi3

see Olaf mail. In the meantime some Windows users have experienced
problems with AOO and Java 7. So far the bug cannot be reproduced, and
we don't know for sure how important it is/how many users are affected
(regarding the 7 million download, most on Windows platforms, the bug
reports are very few, so my assumption is that this bug is reproducible
only under very rare and specific circumstances).

> -- I might caution against having users download java 6, assuming they
> have no java 7, due to security concerns and possibly other
> inconsistencies with whatever OS they are using.
>
> Bottom line -- I'm not sure we should change the java download to
> version 6 over 7.  Maybe others feel there is a compelling reason for
> this downgrade, I don't know.
>
> as an FYI -- I have java 7 installed and no problems so far.

me too, I have only OpenJDK 7 in my system; but we use Linux. The bug
has been reported only on Windows.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile