On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:34 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
<orwittm...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 07.08.2012 23:44, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

>>> So it might make sense to send them to the download page?  Or a
>>> custom/new page that says:
>>> a) Thank you for installing OOo
>>> b) OOo is now at Apache
>>> c) The latest version is AOO 3.4.  You can get it here (give download
>>> link)
>>> d) Useful extensions and templates are here (give links)
>>> e) If you want to stay informed about new releases and other
>>> announcements, here is our announcement link, Twitter account, etc.
>>

>> I created a page with this content at
>> http://www.openoffice.org/legacy/thankyou.html
>>

> This page looks good.
>
> May be we can use it also for our update service. It could be the landing
> page for users of legacy OOo versions for whose language we do not have a
> released package. Currently, the update service for such legacy OOo versions
> is not active.

How would that work, for an end user?  I thought an update check
occurs every week.  So suppose someone was currently using OOo 3.3.0
in the Korean translation.  Every week they would get a notification
saying an update is available.  This would take them to a page (in
English) that says AOO 3.4.0 is available, but not in Korean.  And if
they don't install 3.4.0 they continue to get the message every week?

That sounds annoying.

Or is there a way we can give a set of users a message once, so after
they dismiss the message it does not return every week?  Something
like an Atom/RSS feed that can be displayed in the client.  That would
be more useful.

Of course, we cannot now modify the UI and logic of OOo 3.3.0.  But we
could fake it with a hack.  For example, we could a message in for all
languages in the update XML, but only have it there for 2 weeks.  Then
we would revert the XML back to only notifying users for updates in
their language.

-Rob