On Aug 16, 2012, at 4:06 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:

>>> 1. LWP::UserAgent has been a prerequisite for years.  But I think
>>>    I remember that it was temporarily removed from one of the older
>>>    platform specific build instruction pages.
>>>
>>> 2. Can you be more specific regarding your problems with
>>>    download_external_dependencies.pl so that I can fix it?  It exists
>>>    under this name for more than two months and since it is used in
>>>    every setup of a build I would say that it is fairly well tested.
>>>    But that does not mean that it is error free.
>>
>> He might have found something similar to this:
>> http://markmail.org/message/pqre775ds3m4y3jg
>
> Hm, I did not perceive this as a persisting problem.  It seemed to have a
> simple solution.

That was exactly the trouble. Somewhere in the build guide this should
highlighted under Perl Dependencies. The other part is that it should describe
the proper cpan commands.

I basically ended up with my permissions modified on cpan. I fixed this and
then I had to upgrade LWP::UserAgent

The building guide needs to be oriented towards a rather neophyte developer.

Already we getting the guides lined up with the README.

>> He has LWP::UserAgent but it's too old, a method is missing, so he tries
>> to update the module with cpan. Updating Perl like this may brake other
>> things in your system, I prefer keeping the system as it came, and
>> install a local perl version.
>
> If that is really the problem and updating Perl really is such a problem (I
> never experienced it as one) then I could try to make the use of
> LWP::UserAgent more compatible with older versions.
>
> The biggest problem might be to lay hands on such old versions in a running
> system.

Having clear update LWP::UserAgent instructions for those who don't know cpan
would be enough.

Regards,
Dave