On 08/17/2012 03:09 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
On 17.08.2012 00:36, Dave Fisher wrote:

On Aug 16, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

On 08/16/2012 12:57 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
Am 08/16/2012 06:34 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
I think it might be a good idea to include a link to build
information on
the download page.

We could probably put this right under the heading for the source
section...

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#tested-sdk

Given the recent discussion on the [VOTE] thread for 3.4.1, it
would be
great if we could get the build instructions better integrated in
*one*
place and we can add this link to the source download section.

Comments? Volunteers?

Good idea. We just need to decide which webpage to link to.

I've seen in another thread that Dave had some problems to build
AOO. It
seems we have (at least) 2 webpages that describe how to build on your
own. So ...

Marcus

Right, so here is a question/idea.

Andre pointed Dave to this wiki page --

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

we also have a bunch of build flags for each environment listed on:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOO3.4.1

Should we either 1) incorporate the build flags on Building_Guide_AOO
page

or 2) link to them from the Building_Guide_AOO page

Link to them - the one's used on the builds include some choices that
the various builders have made which don't exactly match the
instructions on the various guides. For example, Jürgen has put
downloaded prerequisites.

Building_Guide_AOO already contains the more important switches (eg
--enable-category-b, --enable-bundled-dictionaries) and explains why
these are not on by default.
I restricted the choice to a minimum to not confuse the reader.

These are good examples.

Also, I will change the link on the source page in the project site
to go to Building_Guide_AOO instead of the one that is there now.

Rob placed a message on the old Building Guide page, but perhaps it
will be overlooked.

There are four pages in the wiki linked to from the README.

     Windows:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows

     Linux:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux

     Mac OS X:
         http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions
     Solaris:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Solaris

If these are no longer current then each should have a prominent link
to the correct page:

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO.

I made this change on trunk.

The README is at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/README

There are also build instructions in there, so that needs some cleanup.

Long story short, why don't we plan on putting a link to
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

at the top of source section in other.html and deal with build flags
separately...

Yes, agreed. But link to the development builds from the
Building_Guide_AOO.

A reference to all of the build flags would help too.

Yes, we need that.

My idea for Building_Guide_AOO was to have one page that explains the
outline of how to build AOO, not to contain every single detail as that
would just obscure the big picture.  I also tried to avoid repeating the
basics on many platform specific pages so that the building guide
remains maintainable.  See how the pages linked above have diverged and
are out-of-date.

But I am beginning to see the benefit of having simpler recipes for the
major platforms.  Less explaining, just step by step descriptions that
get you from downloading/checking out the source code to a running
office.  I will start this for Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and Mac (if I get it
to run in a virtual machine) but any help is welcome.

-Andre

yes, that would be good.

OK, I just made several changes which I hope will help with this.

* changed the general Build Guide page on the wiki (we had a link to the AOO Build guide but I made it more prominent and arranged the order a bit)
* fixed links on the Source link in the project web site
* added a link to the revised build guide page on the Developer Snapshot page under the "source" areas

yes, I also think the platform specific areas on the general build page on the wiki should be changed (or not used) if they're not up to date.

Also, I think it would be VERY helpful to explain some aspects -- system integration vs not, build with Mozilla or not, etc. Maybe this is already explained somewhere but I don't know where.

ok, back later

Thanks,
Dave

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                   -- Niels Bohr