On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Pedro Giffuni <p...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]

Now I think you are getting ahead of yourself.  I've shown that the
IPMC has repeatedly voted on releases that included binaries, and has
done this recently and without dissent.  Three of the most recent 7
podlings to have graduated included binaries in their releases.

> For the podling, up till now, the source was only of secondary importance
> because
> end users (and QA) can't really evaluate the source code and instead are
> interested
> in the behaviour of the program (therefore the executables). As I see it, the
> issue of
> considering the source code alone is very valid for the IPMC. I think it is
> perfectly
> reasonable that this issue has come up at this time.

It would have been even more fine if the concern came up in the
previous podling releases, from this project, or from any of the many
other that included bbinaries ;-)

> The particular concern of how the "official" packages are generated and
> distributed
> is also interesting. At this time I would say the FreeBSD port is as
> legitimate and
> worthy of being tagged "Apache OpenOffice" as the Windows packages in
> sourceforge.

That doesn't logically follow.