On 7 September 2012 12:56, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/7/12 12:30 PM, Ian Lynch wrote:
>>>
>>> It is definitely an important aspect and I think everybody is invited to
>>> take responsibility to reach out to the broader eco-systems and help to
>>> increase it
>>>
>>> As a specific
>>>
>>> I would not bind it to a specific person or to a role. Anybody can do
>>> anything here and anybody is encouraged to simply start doing things.
>>
>> Nothing stops anyone doing community support, it but Rob was saying
>> some things were being left because I guess it was no-one's specific
>> responsibility and he was left to take action.
>
> maybe or it was simply because the active community members would have
> been busy with other things, I don't know.
>
>  To me a pMc has a
>> management role. In a large project like AOO management has to have
>> some sort of organisation. While a small project can get by with
>> informal task based culture, the larger the organisation the less well
>> this works. ASF itself is divided into different projects for that
>> reason. We gave the press liaison role to Don IIRC. We also have the
>> precedent of the previously successful OOo structure. That worked well
>> with a lot of the community tasks then not distracting the engineering
>> effort.
>
> gave we this role to Don or did he simply took this task and expressed
> responsibility for it. I think this is a difference.
>
> If you or Louis will take responsibiltiy for this task just do it. Don't
> wait!

To an extent I already have been doing some of these things on an
occasional basis. I doubt I'd have time to do more on my own. We
already said it is unclear to many what skills people in the ppmc have
or even why they might be helpful. Just expecting all that to become
apparent and reacting to day to day contacts from the wider ecosystem
is to me not management, its wishful thinking at best. Perhaps this
lack of organisation for community management in a project that once
had probably the most organised community support of any FOSS project
is something that concerns mentors.

> We have this already in other areas where people started to take
> responsibility for specific tasks.
>
> My suggestion is that we let it evolve and don't start with a corset of
> roles. I belief that persons will grow in such "roles" (if you prefer
> this term) by taking ownership and responsibility for it.

Maybe, but it will take longer so to me the price to pay for  that
might well be a delay in graduation.  Mentors require evidence that
the ppmc is taking action to make itself sustainable. It seems to me
logical to provide that evidence sooner rather than later if we want
to prevent delays in graduation.

btw, I only suggested one role not role(s) and that is a fairly
generic thing as much a point of contact as an executive role which is
why it would be difficult to evolve simply from doing tasks. If others
suggest other roles that are currently not clear perhaps it might help
less active ppmc members find their niche. If it doesn't no great harm
done. If no-one suggests any other roles perhaps no others are
necessary.

>> This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody,
>> Anybody, and Nobody.
>>
>> There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that
>> Somebody would do it.
>>
>> Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
>>
>> Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.
>>
>> Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that
>> Everybody wouldn't do it.
>>
>> It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what
>> Anybody could have done
>
> I like this and it can help us to understand that we should not wait
> that others do the work for us.

It also illustrates why some defined roles in large organisations are
better than just hoping someone with interest will pick something up.
Why have a PMC at all if there is no management in it? Just call it a
PC.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940