Hi All,
(sorry for delay and silence, have been having to deal with actual work related
things)

On 12-09-07, at 09:48 , Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 September 2012 14:06, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Top posting because we have a specific ecosystem issue that needs handling -
>> distribution.
>>
>> In the former OOo days companies, groups and individuals could become
>> community distributors. They could make use of logos and CD labels and
>> package their own version of OOo. These still exist. I see you responded to
>> one from filepuma today.
>>
>> Now that the OOo trademark is at the ASF the rules must change. How do we
>> reach out to these distributors to guide them into compliance. The PPMC has
>> not handled it well. The results from waiting for people to come, ask the
>> right questions, listen to the answers and then apply them needs to be
>> managed. Very early in this podling's history Martin from Team OOo did come
>> and ask, he got answers, but failed to listen to the whole answer, went off
>> and did what was done. This caused a huge problem.
>>
>> Like our Mentors I had no prior relationship to OOo, and lacked an
>> understanding of the specific players within the whole ecosystem. Louis is
>> certainly someone with a sense of it and it sure would be great to move
>> forward and create a clear outreach with accessible and clear instructions
>> on this change.
>
> I'm willing to help, but I don't think I'm the best fit for the role
> because Louis is much better known and a better fit for what is
> essentially a point of reference. It will make it much easier for
> others monitoring the lists if they know these types of queries will
> get followed up and there is some consistency in the point of contact.

My approach is quite simple, and I'll do what I can to spell out what I think
could further this project.

What it comes down to is encouraging distributed growth: I don't have all the
answers and each region, community, commons area is different. They differ
according to the personalities involved, to the actual part of the code or
project that's of interest, to the problems (or whatevers) that must be solved
(or addressed).

There are, let's say, two aspects to the puzzle of building a sustainable
community focused on Apache OpenOffice. First, what is important to me, and I
daresay to many here, is to collaborate on the larger point, the development of
the application, it's code, QA, extensions, localizations, ports, according to
the precepts laid out by Apache. But regionally, there are ways in which those
people and companies making up the ecosystem as a whole might well act
idiosyncratically, using methods I would not have imagined but which are
effective all the same in both building a local community and making that
community relevant to the overall project's goals.

For instance, if in Kerala, India, the Malayalam effort is reawakened as a
teaching vehicle, and the students and professors need (or want and can do it)
extensions particular to their localization and locale, and this is sponsored
by local businesses (or even not local at all), then it ought to be encouraged,
and rewarded by the recognition such effort merits. The *outcome* for the
Apache OpenOffice project would be obscure—this effort may do zero to actually
further the code development.

But it does a lot to further the project as a community effort, for those who
work on AOO and ODF in school, in such a way (as "owners") are, I believe, more
likely to continue working on the code as more sophisticated graduates. They
will (or may) do this not only because they have already seen that they can do
so in a sandboxed manner but also because they have come to understand what is
meant by open source collaboration. (Their understanding, like all of ours, is
kaleidoscopic, but that, of course, is the nature of humanity: through a glass
darkly.)

What level of effort should then the AOO PPMC put into this sort of thing? I
mean regional development with uncertain return on investment as realized by
more code that's good in the AOO production repository.  Little. That's because
not much is really needed. What is *wanted* and what is *useful* is to have
such an interest manifest.

For instance, right now we have the localization projects. I'd promote what I
long ago promoted but which never really got off the ground, more regional
projects. This means setting up wikis, having periodic meetings via IRC or
equivalent, and encouraging local events that are aimed at drawing in people.

We do versions of this already—look at what Imacat has done, at what others
around the world are doing on their own behalf. I'm not saying that what I'm
suggesting here is novel, new, unheard of. It's isn't. It's common sense. But
all the more reason to make it easier for others outside of the PPMC but who
feel strongly about the community or who are becoming part of the ecosystem to
act on the notion of community.

Doing things once, maybe twice is easy. Doing things, especially versions of
the same thing regularly, and doing this with the aim of building up to
something that is grander than oneself and that includes others—that's actually
pretty hard, especially when there is no money reward that's obvious.

** Next steps**

I don't have answers that fit all situations, but I am very interested in
listening to suggestions about what would be really interesting or at least fun
to get going, and how.

For me, this is what I think is actually crucial, right now:

* Pick up ecosystem development that can lead to production sustainability in
Brazil, India, possibly Russia, Ukraine, CIS countries.

* Mobile. I'm in communication right now with at least one person very
interested in mobile AOO (ODF, actually) on more than iOS. This is important,
for any number of reasons, all of them I hope good.

* Education: get AOO in education and get it used for teaching.

And more and more.

Cheers
Louis