On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM, jan iversen <jancasacon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After a day of work, maybe I should elaborate on what I mean:
>
> Having read your documents in detail, which I really find SUPER, I see one
> challenge:
>
> "old" people in the mailing list pretty much knows who is working on (sort
> of responsible for) a given part, so they have no problems with "proposals"
> since they know who to approach, and the JFDI methods works well.
>
> new volunteers who wants to follow what happens and do a little here and
> there, will typically not make [proposals] but do JFDI on the wiki, and
> otherwise look for questions.
>
> The last part, those who want to be integrated and help move things, do
> have a slight problem:
> [proposals] might not even be responded to, especially if they fall in one
> of two catagories:
> - this is something we have discussed before
> - somebody is working on the theme
> JFDI method might be even worse, because you spent hours doing something
> sent it off to a committer and zero....

This is also a possible conflict between two new volunteers, or even
two "old" volunteers.  If you go off and work on something for a month
without telling anyone, then you risk that someone old or new does the
same thing, or similar.

That is a point worth mentioning, that for larger jobs, you might want
to mention it on the list, not because it is controversial, but just
for coordination purposes, so others are aware.  Maybe they even offer
to help or give some helpful ideas.

I can include these ideas in the text.

> I believe in both methods, but I really believe that JFDI should be AFJFDI
> (asf first if anyone is working on it), and then do it. The proposal part
> is a bit harder, and maybe your document should state "wait with proposals
> until you are integrated in the commnity".

Certainly for larger tasks, this makes sense.  But if it is a quick
operation then JFDI works.  I suppose it depends on the
time-to-JFDI/time-to-post-and-wait-72-hours ratio.

For new volunteers they don't have access to SVN, so everything they
do is essentially RTC.  So submitting their patches is essentially
like making a proposal.   But the same considerations apply.  It might
make sense to float the idea first before investing a lot of time in
the work.