Lundgren, Andrew wrote:
> Now for the fun questions.  Is the windows client suitable for a
> production environment?

yes

> The windows machines will in turn be serving
> data to multiple clients.  (A proprietary data server that only runs on
> windows will be feeding the data off box, but the data will be stored on
> linux machines with the main data stores.)

ok

> Which version should I consider using, the latest version that the
> download link leads (1.4.x) to or the version that the windows download
> leads to (1.5.x)?

For Windows you should follow the instructions for Windows.

  http://www.openafs.org/windows.html

That is the production ready release of the OpenAFS client for Windows
2000 through Vista.

> I have been trying to compile openAFS on SUSE 10.2 with gcc version
> 4.1.0 and am running into compile problems.  I ran into problems with
> ifdefs on line 115.
> looking at the source code, it looks like there is infact a missing if.
> I guessed which one to leave and commented out a block, but the errors
> continued with ifdef problems on line 460.

I suggest using a version of Linux that has pre-built binaries available
for it unless you have some special requirements.

Jeffrey Altman