Indeed it is hard but I have to STRONGLY disagree that we chemists
assign R and S configuration in any other way that by applying the CIP
rules… and for those molecules that are more complex we usually take
more time. Neither during my PhD years or my postgrad years I saw any
organic chemist that couldn’t do it!