*> >
> > Try compiling with -32 instead of -n32?  I often had a good
> > experience with it.
> >
> > Suhaib
> >

> Unless for compatibility reasons (pre Irix 6) you should
> use the modern ABIs.
> The o32 (-32) and n32 compilers are actually different
> beasts with most of the
> new work and bug fixes going into the n32/64 compilers.
> You will almost always
> get better performance with the new ABIs since they
> support instruction sets for
> the newer (R44 and beyond) chip sets.
>
> I've also run into problems recently with some libraries
> not being supplied in
> the o32 format (I can't remember which).
>
> BTW, recompiling against the Motif 1.2 development fixed
> the bomb on Control
> Panel opening.

The problems I mentioned are specific to OSF/MOTIF 2.1 and the
2.1.21 fixes 2.1 bug.  1.2.4 should be OK.  Sorry for not being
clear.

Well I have R12K chip SGIs in my office.  THE IRIX itself had bunch
of the libraries in old format.  I agree you should use new ABI's
but rarely I can compile a software without troubles due to SGI
MipsPro mess of -o32, -n32, -n64.  Thier own system carries
mixtures.

Suhaib