Thanks for the responses on this conundrum.

I jumped on the automake and autoconf version
suggestion with great hope.  I downloaded, compiled and
installed the latest versions (1.7.2 and 2.57
respectively).  The result was the same errors.
Perhaps I should back up to versions 1.3 and 2.13; but
I'm skeptical (is our progress really this
retrograde?).

Another point that I neglected to mention is that for
version 7.3, I am using the Red Hat Professional
edition.  While for version 8.0, I have the personal
edition.  I did not mention it before because 1) I felt
that it was grasping for straws, 2) I don't see
anything in the professional edition that should make a
difference and 3) the error message is awfully obtuse
for something as basic as a missing library or utility
(just a dreamer, I guess).  Lloyd's and Richard's
experiences cause me to wonder if this is perhaps
significant.

Matt, thank you for the kind offer of a tarred binary
but I really need to be able to roll my own and I'd
like to understand what the real requirements are to do
the build.

-Ned Piburn