Ned,

There are some real differences between Autoconf 2.13 and 2.5, gcc 2.x and 3.x, and Automake 1.3 and 1.5. These differences are what are causing your problems. All of the upgrades that the autotools groups have done has made the main branch of cvs unworkable out of the box. Somebody might be willing to take a bunch of time to make it work, but I'm not sure who that will be. The libtool branch is set up to compile with gcc 2.x and 3.x but requires that you use Autoconf 2.52 or higher, Automake 1.5 or higher, and libtool 1.4.2 or higher. libtool in RH 8.0 stock is not up to that level and causes the problem. So to recap--

v 4.2 of dx is not compilable without fixing problems on a RH 8 systems because of their use of gcc 3.x. This can be fixed by doing the following:
Add -Wno-deprecated to CPPFLAGS (*not* CXXFLAGS) by issuing

    env CPPFLAGS='-Wno-deprecated <whatever>' ./configure ....

main branch of cvs has the same problems as v 4.2 plus you need to use Autoconf 2.13 and Automake 1.3 to generate the configure.

libtool branch of cvs requires that you use libtool version 1.4.2 or better, Autoconf 2.52 or better, and Automake 1.5 or better.

Hope this helps,
David

Thanks for the responses on this conundrum.

I jumped on the automake and autoconf version
suggestion with great hope.  I downloaded, compiled and
installed the latest versions (1.7.2 and 2.57
respectively).  The result was the same errors.
Perhaps I should back up to versions 1.3 and 2.13; but
I'm skeptical (is our progress really this
retrograde?).

Another point that I neglected to mention is that for
version 7.3, I am using the Red Hat Professional
edition.  While for version 8.0, I have the personal
edition.  I did not mention it before because 1) I felt
that it was grasping for straws, 2) I don't see
anything in the professional edition that should make a
difference and 3) the error message is awfully obtuse
for something as basic as a missing library or utility
(just a dreamer, I guess).  Lloyd's and Richard's
experiences cause me to wonder if this is perhaps
significant.

Matt, thank you for the kind offer of a tarred binary
but I really need to be able to roll my own and I'd
like to understand what the real requirements are to do
the build.

-Ned Piburn

Richard Gillilan wrote:

 I tried a RH 8.0 compile from CVS a couple days ago and got exactly
 the same CVSMake and configure errors. My system (autotools etc.) is
 default
 RH 8.0 installation. I ended up using precompiled binaries from
 previous RH 7.3 and
 it seemed to work.

   Richard Gillilan
 MacCHESS, Cornell

 On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 05:37  PM, Lloyd A Treinish wrote:

 > I have RH8 on a new system with automake 1.63 and autoconf 2.53.  I
 > did a
 > build recently without any problem using the 4.2 tar ball.
 >
 > The only change I made was to dx/include/dxconfig.h per the recent
 > discussion about the variable HAVE_STRSTREAM_H
 >

 > "Martin S. Tignor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@opendx.watson.ibm.com on
 > 02/07/2003
 > 03:43:10 PM
 >
 > Please respond to opendx2-dev@lists.berlios.de
 >
 > Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >

 > To:    opendx2-dev@lists.berlios.de
 > cc:
 > Subject:    Re: [opendx-dev] compiling DX under RedHat 8.0
 >

 > On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 13:51, Ned Piburn wrote:
 >>
 >> Where are we with regard to compiling DX under RedHat 8.0?
 >
 > The only thing I use is redhat 8.
 >
 > The automake and autoconf I use are not the ones that came with
 > the system.
 >
 > $ automake --version
 > automake (GNU automake) 1.3
 >

 > $ autoconf --version
 > Autoconf version 2.13
 >
 > Martin
 >

 > Ned Piburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@opendx.watson.ibm.com on 02/07/2003
 > 01:51:30 PM
 >
 > Please respond to opendx2-dev@lists.berlios.de
 >
 > Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > >

 > To:    opendx2-dev@lists.berlios.de
 > cc:
 > Subject:    [opendx-dev] compiling DX under RedHat 8.0
 >

 > Where are we with regard to compiling DX under RedHat 8.0?
 >
 > I've been using DX with RH 7.3 with no problem, but 8.0
 > is being just plain ugly.  Below are my two attempts
 > to set the DX construction machinery in motion.  I'm
 > about ready to cut my losses and load 7.3.  Can someone
 > suggest something I'm missing?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Ned Piburn
 >
 > First I tried configuring from the dx-4_2_0_tar tarball.
 > As you can see below, that failed in the navel examination
 > phase.
 >
 > checking for time.h... no
 > checking for types.h... no
 > checking for unistd.h... no
 > checking for values.h... no
 > checking for wait.h... no
 > O_RDONLY IS NOT defined by default
 > checking for windows.h... (cached) no
 > checking for unistd.h... (cached) no
 > checking for sys/types.h... (cached) no
 > checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) no
 > could not find working combination of stat function and structure
 > falstaff<5>
 >
 > Next I tried the CVS approach.  The configure script
 > hardly got started when it fell on its bum.
 >
 > falstaff<70> CVSMake
 > WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
 > WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
 > WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
 >
 > WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
 > WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
 > WARNING: `acconfig.h':
 >
 > WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
> [...]

David L. Thompson                   Visualization and Imagery Solutions, Inc.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    5515 Skyway Drive, Missoula, MT 59804
                                    Phone : (406)756-7472