Hi Erik,

Thanks for your comments.

The aim of the international CKM is to evolve towards an international resource
that contains a cohesive pool of published archetypes, and facilitate any/all
collaboration towards that. We need to aim for quality models and protect that
carefully. The incubators have been designed to facilitate collaboration in an
ungoverned and not-so-public, or private, space that can feed into that
cohesive pool.

To try to include an educational component in the international CKM where
students could make mistakes, create conflict, identify good vs bad modelling,
and learn principles/consequences  of knowledge governance should be an
entirely different thing. At the moment teaching archetype development and
certainly knowledge governance is largely an academic exercise, but I think if
we could establish a learning instance in a subdomain of a fully functional CKM
for modest license fees specifically for this purpose, then this is invaluable.

Full functionality of CKM was originally only able to be managed at the full
CKM domain instance level ie each ?owner? would need their own CKM instance,
which is prohibitive and will result in too many CKMs. Recently we reworked the
CKM design extensively to allow this functionality to be managed at Subdomain
level as well, allowing for the possibility of shared instances to increase
access by interested groups.

In a purely teaching-based CKM, with multiple ?co-owned? subdomains, it won?t
matter if it results in conflicting or overlapping archetypes and a generally
incoherent pool of models. It will allow full experimentation of every bit of
CKM functionality and then lecturers can ?blow away? all of the experiments at
the end of each course/semester and potentially start afresh ? whatever the
subdomain user needs. It will be much more flexible and provide the closest
thing to their own fully functional CKM but not cause conflict, confuse or
compromise the international openEHR CKM.

And of course if universities then want to contribute to the international
openEHR CKM, Incubators are the ideal solution while they refine their models,
and then they can offer them formally into the governed space.

Our experience to date is that not everyone wants to use the single
international CKM, even though that would potentially accelerate
interoperability.

Some national programs, not unreasonably, want to control and review every
asset that they will use within their national specifications and standards ?
this may change over time. Others want CKMs translated into their own language.

We will have to live with the fact that there will be some fragmentation of
modelling ? it is just human nature ? but there is a very real possibility that
this kind of work will become increasingly centralised if we can keep these
discussions between groups happening and take what steps we can reasonably do
to federate the CKMS to maximise sharing where is it possible and acceptable.
As the benefits of interoperability using common, shared  models are realised
the desire for controlling locally will no doubt diminish.

Further comments inline.

Regards

Heather