From a governance point of view, I believe it is clear that the v2 route is the cleanest option here.
And in a general way I also agree with your concerns, Diego!
I think that my suggestion of deprecating old and adding the new elements, can only make sense if we can model the new elements in a v1 archetype in a way that the data paths don't need to change when later migrating to a forthcoming v2 archetype.

From an implementers point of view I am not so sure I'd be so happy if I need to take the archetype to the next major version just because of this. Therefore, I also agree with Heather and share the concerns that creating a v2 in this case is a bit over the top. Not sure if anybody is even using Tilt or the location from this archetype's protocol in the first place?

If you are able to add the new things (or at least the unit change) to the v1 archetype _and_ start the work on publishing a "clean" v2 archetype at the same time, this would allow implementers to upgrade in their own time, while being able to enable the use of correct units and 'modern' modelling patterns in the existing v1 archetype.

I think it is reasonable to add another unit to an archetype without having to up its major version (and provide some guidance that this is the 'better' unit to use). Changing the modelling pattern for the location and adding this a complete alternative may be asking to much from a minor revision of an archetype.

Maybe this is also a good exercise for anybody using this archetype on how best to upgrade from one major version to the next...but my preference I think is to, yes start with a v2 archetype, but also _add _the correct unit to the v1 archetype and republish as a minor revision.

Sebastian