heather.les...@oceaninformatics.com>:

> ·         It means that new implementers can use the corrected v1
> revision and we don’t have to create a v2 for a relatively trivial problem;
> existing vendor implementations can remain unchanged or they can choose to
> update the units if they please. The MD5 changes, but all paths etc are
> identical. A minimal disruption approach, if you like – thanks Heath.

And what happens if a new implementation sends data to an old
implementation? Since the archetype identifier has not changed the receiver
will use its own archetype to validate the received data, and if it
includes the 'deg' unit it will just fail the validation. Breaking
revisions are not only about changing the archetype structure, but also
about generating a different set of possible instances.

--
David Moner Cano
Grupo de Informática Biomédica - IBIME

Universidad Politécnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3ª planta
Valencia – 46022 (España)