Eric Browne wrote:

>Sam,
>
>I take Tom's position. The issue is whether there is a one to one
>mapping between subject of care and an EHR.
>
>>From a health perspective, a foetus can be considered as a subject of
>care in its own right.

and I think it can certainly be considered a "subject of clinical
Statements" even if one feels that making observations on a foetus is
not "care"...

>A foetus is tightly coupled to a mother, but is sufficiently
>distinct for there to be a need for a separate EHR under certain
>circumstances. The question is when do we spawn a new record?
>Under normal circumstances, this would probably occur at birth, partly
>since the foetus becomes a person under law, partly because it becomes
>an entity predominantly independent of the mother, partly because prior
>to birth there is rarely a need for information specifically regarding
>the foetus.

which is what I used to think, based on Sam's thinking, but having had
this discussion, I have changed my mind. As soon as the first
observation is made of the foetus it should have its own EHR.

>However, when the foetus does become a subject of care, i.e. measurements
>and interventions are undertaken specifically for the benefit of the
>foetus, there are good grounds for spawning a separate EHR.
>
>Either approach requires a more complex EHR model.

I'm not sure what these are yet, but I guess I can see a few things that
need to be sorted out:
- connection between mother and child (can be done in the demogarphic
server)
- when there are twins
- when things go wrong, e.g. ectopic pregnancies

> But surely the
>raison d'etre of an EHR is to promote the care of a subject? Or is it
>being proposed for some other reason of which I am unaware?

not as far as I know!

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org