Dear All,

It might be useful for me to clarify why I proposed the CVS use case
in the first place. I saw Sam's assertion that "the fetus can be
treated as part fo the mother", and that bothered me because while
that's the legal state of affairs in many places, if implemented
thoroughly it also means every woman is a genetic mosaic with
different genotypes every time she's pregnant, which seems like a
minefield to me - do we really want to make it that hard?

The placenta arises because it would appear not to be part of the
fetus, and it's the mother who develops it, but it's actually the
thing which is tested to establish a genotype for the fetus wihtout
being invasive of it (it replaced fetal blood sampling in the second
trimester for that purpose), so again the mosaic problem arises. My
main concern was to have a way of clearly determinig which genotype(s
- some people are mosaics anyway!) are actually the mother's, which
are the fetus' and which are neither in that like the placenta they
simple vanish from the picture outside a given window...

The bone marrow case was more about seeing a bone marrow transplanted
patient as a therapeutically created mosaic, but making sure that it
could be recorded that this individual has in effect an unreliable
blood genotype for extrapolating that to other organs (antenatal care
at least in the UK assumes that if you've sampled the blood you've
sampled the individual...!). It's also interesting because the donor
is almost certainly a close relative (so it's perhaps not the same
kind of secret) but is also probably alive (ie the organ transplanted
has not been "harvested" after a trauma...). Again it's a window, but
this time open-ended assumig graft versus host can be avoided...

I'm beginning to see a general question here, which would also cover
prostheses (just because the hip is made of titanium...) but more
interestingly tumours which are "of" the organ in or at which they
are located, but which are histologically and genetically different,
are additional masses, and may also be "temporary" in that once
detected they may be removed or suppressed/shrunk in some other
way...

On the question of assigning identifiers, when the reason for the
selective termination of one of twin pregnancies is a lab result and
a prediction rather than something you could see visibly on
ultrasound etc, does anyone know how obstetricians work out which the
target fetus is? Normally in medicine such things seem to be done by
laterality (for kidneys, limbs, etc.) but I was under the impression
that fetuses were too mobile to reliably do it that way...

Regardig new EHRs etc, might there be scope for mimicking what nature
does - a child EHR which for example must inherit its identifier
context from its mother as it really can only be identified
meaningfully by a qualifier of "this is the demographic person inside
which it is located"...?

Yours,

Matthew

--
"Mr. Matthew Darlison BA MA" <M.Darlison at ucl.ac.uk>
Senior Research Fellow, Clinical & Applied Bioinformatics

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org