Hi Gerard,

We have found that we could represent anything cyclic with two concepts
: regular cycle and unregular cycle

For regular cycle, you have just to specify the cycle length (say P) and
the event duration (say D) ; time between events is P-D.
Natural langage expression is of the kind "ten minutes every two hours"

For unregular cycle, you need to specify a third parameter : the number
of events inside a cycle (say N).
Natural langage expression could be : "one hour three times a day"

That way, you just need 5 semantic concepts to express any cyclic
pattern of an event :
regular cycle
unregular cycle
cycle length
event duration
number of events inside a cycle

Of course, you can add some concepts such as starting time, ending time
and overall duration.

Well, it seems very simple ; however, we started a project with a lot of
pre-elaborated sentences samples provided by MDs, and we discovered that
natural langage is very un-accurate because the same sentence can be
understood very differently if you think of it as a regular cycle or an
unregular one.
So we fumbled nearly one month before I was able to discover that the
underlying model was so simple.

Cheers,

Philippe

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org