> Consider a maximum temperature measured over a 12 hour period - or an
> average. At the moment the date/time will be the beginning of the 12 hr
> period.
>
> My suggestion is that clinicians will record this at the end of the 12
> hours and the date/time should reflect this.
>
> That is to say:
>
> a 12hr maximum temperature of 36 C over the period 0600-1800 on 2004 Jan
>  01 should be:
>
> 2004 Jan 01 1800  12hr max Temperature = 36 C
>
> and not
>
> 2004 Jan 01 0600  12hr max Temperature = 36 C
I think one should think of it this way: The temperature value
(be that average or maximum) gets recorded as soon as it is
known (hopefully). Hence the second version (@0600) seems
wrong. The first version seems OK but it seems to hide
something implicitely. There are actually two things being
recorded: a) the maximum temperature - recorded at a given
time. b) the time range this maximum applies to - eg an
interval that needs to be recorded, too !

It just so happens that many recorded values will have their
time of recording and their time of occurrence *coincide*. In
many cases that will suffice, too, and in many cases - say GP
level free text for an encounter - it does not matter too much
whether I record the progress now when I hear it or two hours
later. Nonetheless are there two times: recording and
occurrence. Which should - in cases where it matters - be
explicitely modelled.

Paper charts make us forget about this distinction because we
routinely lie about the time of recording, eg. we put down the
time of occurrence while we actually mean that of recording.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346
please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org