Ignacio,

I cannot provide you with any numbers, but have a few
comments as to why open source systems are not widely
deployed:

1) Physicians, and probably many institutions, don't
really understand the concept of open source code, and
the potential advantages, which include cost savings,
protection against obsolescence, and the ability to
meaningfully influence the architecture of the EHR
system, among others ( I have made a few inroads with
organizations such as the American Medical
Association, the American Public Health Association,
and the American Bar Association).

2) The word ?open? suggests to many that there is no
security (where in fact, and as you point out in your
draft, systems may be more secure (also see HIMSS
White Paper, June 2008)).

3) Proprietary systems are heavily marketed.  No one
is marketing open source EHR to a comparable degree
(you make this point, but perhaps it could be
elaborated upon).

HR 6898, introduced 9/15/08 (Stark, D-CA, and Camp,
R-MI) and referred to the House Committees on Energy
and Commerce, Ways and Means, and Science and
Technology, includes making available  open source
(VistA or comparable) EHR at a ?nominal? cost, and
provides for a consortium to govern the development
and updating of such a system.   Its recent White
Paper on open source EHR notwithstanding, HIMSS now
opposes these provisions.  There was similar (and
successful) opposition to a plan by David Brailler,
when he was the ONCHIT, to promote open source EHR
three or four years ago.  The impetus behind both of
these opposition fronts is protection of the
proprietary interests of EHR software vendors, couched
in terms of the protection of innovation (but, as you
seem to say, traditional copyright protection isn't
the exclusive path to innovation, e.g. Encarta sold
for $500+ a few years ago, and is now available on
eBay for around $25 if anybody is stupid enough to buy
it instead of using Wikipedia).

Cheers,

Bruce