Hi William

We are taking a service oriented approach here and it has benefits. You can
store demographics in the EHR if you like and there are archetypes to allow for
this. But generally this data is stored elsewhere in real systems. It is used
for administration, billing and a lot of other things. Many hospital have large
systems before they implement the EHR.

So the EHR as a service can exist without recording the demographic information
in the EHR itself. In France it is illegal to do so ? requiring separate
security to get access to demographic and personal health information.

In our environment, the EhrGate component manages the interface to the
demographic service ? allowing demographics to be returned in queries and for
accountability etc. This could be from an openEHR demographic service if that
was suitable for that environment ? or any other demographic system.

Finally, any information between systems is sent as an extract. This brings
together the demographic and personal health information for transport,
production of a CDA or whatever is required.

I hope this helps. It might not seem intuitive but it is very practicle and a
result of a lot of companies being involved in the architecture design (all
with different demographic services and requirements).

Cheers, Sam