Hi,

I have send this same email to the last 21090 discussion, and Ian ask me if I
can send it again in another thread, here it is.
Just yto give some context, this was written in response to Koray who asks for
real-world implementations, and who is studying the complexity/time of building
openEHR-based systems.

I should clarify that the framework is the core of the system, but not the
whole system. The whole trauma application has also DICOM integration, external
MPI integration via IHE PDQ, the "generate CDA feature" (we leave this on the
framework too, but is not a part of the core), and the calculation of quality
of care indicators.

Ian ask me if I can publish the archetypes we use, archetypes, (our own)
templates, the code, etc, are all here:
http://code.google.com/p/open-ehr-gen-framework/source/browse/#svn/trunk/open-ehr-gen

Cheers,
Pablo.

--------------------
Hi Koray,

As an example of a "real-world implementation", we have build an EHR for
 trauma care. Our project was developed in one year and four months.

The core of the development is an openEHR-based framework, wich takes
archetypes and our own templates (with GUI directives), and generate
GUI, data binding with RM structures, validation of data against
archetypes contraints, and persistence of the RM structures.
BTW, this framework has been open sourced:
http://code.google.com/p/open-ehr-gen-framework/ (sorry docs in spanish
only).

I've estimated that this particular project without the "openEHR overhead"
could be finished in 6 months.

But if I have other project like this today (same size, same complexity,
 etc), I think we can finish the development en 3 months, using our
openEHR-based framework.

So, if we have 10 projects this are the numbers:

    * Without openEHR tools: total of 160 months (13.3 years)

    * With openEHR tools: total of 56 months (16 months for the first
development, 4 months for the rest 9 projects, that's 4,7 years!!!)

If we can improve the tools, these times could be improved, and the
final solutions have the advantage of separating the knowledge from the
software, and we can share and reuse archetypes between diferent
projects, that's just great! :D

Hope this experience can help you.

--
Kind regards,