On 25/10/2010 21:59, William Goossen wrote:
> Interesting comment Thomas,
>
> I think " official standards " have nothing to do with obsession, but
> with governments that have a legal obligation to ascertain some
> equality on markets, regulations, and ensuring free access and
> opportunities for all. Maybe I miss a few here, but I am convinced
> that at least in democratic societies, it is what we as citizens want.
> E.g. EHR laws do require official and public accessible standards from
> official SDO's with formal balloting and procedures in place in which
> all parties concerned can participate.
> In particular the obsession might be on market dominance.
> I am currently working on an ISO standard. One of the member countries
> was commenting that choosing one particular approach in this standard
> might favor that approach, hence blocking free trade.

I take your points, but there is a clear priority for quality, not just
equality. In all other industries, the quality of standards is measured
initially against public safety and then against criteria of
effectiveness and economic qualities. No standard gets through (or if it
does, survives long) if it a) endangers the public or b) doesn't do its
purported job properly. In all other industries that i know of,
standards are created by a process whose inputs are already developed
and productised offerings from companies (or sometimes other entities,
e.g. universities). The process is usually one of choosing or it may be
one of a compromise agreement. Whatever the detail, the outcome is
usually dependable, certainly in modern times. An 'obsession' with
standards of this kind would be reasonable.

However, this is not what are produced in health informatics. In our
domain, the standards are created in committee rooms, and are issued,
pretty much untested, with no real proof of public safety, utility,
fitness for purpose, maturity or value for money. And yet the
governments who run e-health programmes remain attached to these de jure
standards, despite their obvious shortcomings. People working for such
programmes have trouble engaging with organisations that produce
implementation validated outputs, because use of such materials is not
sanctioned.

Until this underlying problem in e-health is resolved by a major reform
in how standards are actually produced, validated, and maintained, I
don't see much hope for efficient progress in this domain.

- thomas*
*