>> I just wasn't thinking what I wrote this. In FHIR, a boolean data
>> type, primitive, is a
>> type that can be used in models an is exactly equivalent to DV_BOOLEAN.
>
> but isn't the problem that it doesn't inherit from some DATA_VALUE parent
> type (Any in HL7 data types)? How can it be one of the possible values in a
> location like ELEMENT.value which would be statically typed to this parent
> type (as it is in 13606, HL7 RIM and openEHR) unless it is a descendant of
> this type?

FHIR has no such restriction - elements must have a type of one or more
of the defined types, either primitive or complex

>>> Well, this is the HL7 modelling mentality, trying to create a data type
>>> class with all possible attributes, some of which can be removed in some
>>> subclass.
>>
>> not at all. nothing is removed in FHIR. There are some data types where
>> attributes in the superclass are constrained by the definitions in the
>> subclass.
>> You do the same.
>
> do we?

yes, check out DV_EHR_URI - this is exactly the same pattern for
exactly the same reason

> does anyone use the Java.util calendar type? It's hopeless for dates and
> times!

I use java.util.Date. don't know anything about calendar. but so what.

> I think it is mostly the latter - Date is usually used when time info is
> really not of interest or expected.

why shouldn't the relationship between date and datetime be the same
as that between DV_EHR_URI and DV_URI? I haven't defined that, but
that would be the natural way to do it in FHIR.

> I want a spec that looks like an openEHR spec ;-) That's useful....

I don't think I'll do exactly like (framemaker!), but others have asked for a
formal computable statement of constraints.

>> Should I do anything about them, or are they just there because they
>> were thinking
>> of straight text? Do they think formatting/hyperlinking is important?
>
> that can be constrained in the archetype as well.

but it generally isn't - and can't be in the archetype builder.
So I don't know what was intended.

>> DV_TEXT is a text, optionally with mappings. DV_CODED_TEXT elevates one
>> of the mappings to being "defining".
>
> well 'defining_code' isn't a mapping; a mapping by definition is an
> association between two things from two different models or ontologies. A
> defining code is the code corresponding to the text (description) in the
> value field.

really? Sounds like a clear difference until you start working at the instance
level. Say I have a field in which I want to put the concept "Asthma". The
Snomed-CT code for this is 195967001: Asthma. I didn't get his either by
NLP, or by user input - it's configured as part of a process.

Now the interpretation of of DV_TEXT is text, possibly with a code. So when I'm
going to represent that, I'll use DV_TEXT of "asthma" with a mapping to
snomed code 195967001 in the mappings. The mapping type will be ....
hell, I don't know, does anyone use that, and what do they put in it?
I don't know whether the Purpose_valid invariant means I need one
or not (Group_id_term_mapping_purpose is not defined anywhere that
I can find, for example), but I think not. Anyhow, my snomed code goes
in a mapping. I can't imagine any normal implementer would think
differently on this point.

But if I'm doing a DV_CODED_TEXT, then the snomed code goes
on the defining_code instead of a mapping.

>> Does that mean that a DV_TEXT couldn't
>> have a "defining" code mapping?
> I don't think that would make sense; mappings are for things like 'billing',
> 'research project X', 'CDC coding' etc.

really? You'll have to define that difference a lot better in the spec,
because I don't see it, and because that's not how it's being used
in practice. And what's a match of "=" other than defining?

so:

> why would we want to put the defining codephrase in the mappings?

because most users couldn't tell a defining code apart from a
primary mapping in most situations.

Grahame