Hi Sam

Actually, this has come up in a couple of other places. The FHIR data types
are defined for use within the FHIR framework. There's two very important
parts of FHIR that influence the modeling of the data types:
* the FHIR take on extensibility
* the fact that all FHIR resources have a narrative section
It's become clear to me that this will mean that the FHIR data types
aren't suitable for use elsewhere

More generally, I don't think you can define a set of data types
independently of a set of framework assumptions - and therefore
data types are only independent of reference models if said
reference models share the same framework assumptions.

But I'm quite offended by the notion that I'm influenced by XML.
Bah. Might as well have said that I'm influenced by text.....
Actually, like Thomas, I prefer to work in a 3gl framework ;-)

Grahame