On 19/04/2013 15:17, Randolph Neall wrote:
> Hi Seref,
>
> >In my humble opinion, AQL is the most neglected, yet, probably one of
> the most important components of an openEHR implementation. It is not
> part of the implementation, but it has been implemented by at least
> two vendors that I know of, with a third having something quite
> similar to it.
>
> Neglected? Two vendors? A third with something similar, implying a
> branching of some sort? Then how has everyone else been accessing
> their data? This implies the existence of an alternate and older query
> engine. Is there a link describing this older one? Judging from
> Thomas's wiki link, AQL appears part of a full-fledged query engine on
> the order of any SQL query engine, very sophisticated. Is this query
> engine open source? Did one of the two vendors develop it? How could
> such a thing be neglected or even optional? Are there licensing
> issues? Cost?

Vendors implement it in different ways, but to be honest, I think the
main value isn't the straightforward part of the implementation, which
isn't that complex, depending on how you do blobbing, it's the
optimisations, and those depend heavily on the exact persistence layer
choices.

I don't think there is an AQL engine open source yet, but in any case it
only makes sense when there is an open source openEHR EHR service, which
there currently is not.