On 25-10-14 02:54, Shinji KOBAYASHI wrote:
> To Bert,
> Thank you for proof-reading. English is too difficult for me,
> Japanese. My understanding is openEHR specs are oriented to base of
> the standards. Could you let me know the better phrase?
Only strong men can admit their weaknesses. So this is a compliment for you.
My English is not very good also, but I come from a language related to
English, while you come from a completely other part of the languages-world.
------

OpenEHR specs are based on standards, that is right, in fact everything
in ICT is, but OpenEHR introduces new artifacts and reference models,
which should be standardized or be in a process to standardization,
which already poses some requirements regarding to documentation and
formal definition.

For example, you can express an OpenEHR dataset in XML, en XML is  a
standard, but the OpenEHR Reference Model is not.
This in opposite to ISO13606 or some HL7 Reference Models, they are also
ISO standard.

So, to be accepted by an organization that requires standards, it is not
enough to use XML, but also you should use an XML-Schema/Reference Model
which is standardized.

Just for illustration:
I remember when ODF (OpenOffice Reference model) became an ISO-standard,
governments all over Europe planned to switch to OpenOffice because they
want to work on standards. Microsoft hurried and put in a lot of money
to get their Office reference Model (OOXML) standardized. It was the
fist time Microsoft ever was required to standardize something. We saw
many new countries becoming voting member of ISO, like Malta and Sierra
Leone, countries with no expertise or experience at all. The whole
ISO-process regarding this was a farce. You should read about it for
having a good laugh.
The only reason was because the competition (OpenOffice) had done that.
Since that moment, since the very fast ISO-process which took less then
a year, government could safely choose for Microsoft again, back to the
Microsoft Office environment.

Same counts for medical Reference Models, many governments choose HL7,
only because it is an ISO standard, and only for that reason.
ISO makes it possible for politician which decide about things they
don't understand (most of them have to) to distinguish quality in a safe
way.

Bert.