Unfortunately neither of you were at the recent Oslo meeting (don't
worry, there will be more), but the same sentiments about needing better
learning materials were expressed by most people who are not already
seasoned openEHR developers. So we know we need to work on this, and
various people have offered to do this. It will take a combination of
people who 'know stuff' and people who are learning to put together
materials that work for newcomers. I hope you both contribute.

One big enabling step that is finally about to happen is to move to a
new server, where we can easily run multiple sites i.e. subdomains under
openEHR.org. So we'll be able to set up some technical spaces for people
to work on just those learning materials. The main requirement of course
is still people power.

With respect to making governments use openEHR, that's a hard one to
solve because there is broken thinking in two places: official SDOs that
publish paper, with no active maintenance or update, and governments
that think 'official standards' are the only things to use. Almost
invariably, official standards in health (and general) IT (with the
exception of standards that were already /de facto/ before becoming /de
jure/) are the /worst/ place to start. Some governments have smarter
people though, and realise this. The ones that don't will waste
(sometimes epic amounts of) taxpayers' money.

In many places, this unholy SDO/government communion actively damages
hopes for quality e-health solutions in the future. Government
departments or bodies that are wilfully blind make it very hard, since
they can't be reasoned with. It's like reasoning with any other
ideologue: you can't. The only solutions I know of are a) keep making
noise about the de facto standardisation work on the ground and b) wait
for the next election ;-)

- thomas

On 25/10/2014 09:41, Bert Verhees wrote:
> On 25-10-14 05:21, pablo pazos wrote:
>>
>> Bottom line, I just see a gap between the foundation and the
>> community, and that gap gets bigger because of language and
>> geografical differences. That's why I created the openEHR course in
>> spanish and the ES community. My proposal is just a "help me help
>> you" situation.
>>

>> Working towards medinfo, I hope we can join ours efforts in creating
>> awareness, but it is not clear for me if we should organize community
>> stuff separated from the foundation stuff or if we can narrow the gap.
>>
> I know you are doing a great job. I often see your promotion for
> course in Spanish, on LinkedIn, on Google Plus (maybe). I forgot
> where, but I see it a few times a week.
> That is really a good thing.
>
> And it is necessary. The specs are bad learning material, there are
> also not meant for that.
>
> I remember, ten years ago, sitting at the swimming pool with my little
> children, reading OpenEHR-specs. They were hard to read because of
> their formal language.
> It is no material for learning. In learning people things, you need to
> come with examples, with stories, let the Reference Models and other
> specs live for people, make it fun to read.
>
> Anyway, I came through, I did my best, and it was rewarded. But many
> people are not able to do that, because they do not have the freedom
> to spend 50 hours or so on something which is not required to learn.
> And reading the OpenEHR specs as a hobby in free time, that is asked
> too much for most of humanity.
>
> I am an independent developer, almost twenty years now. I choose
> myself how to spend my time, and a lot of time is used because I make
> choices which seem irrelevant. But I don't mind. I try to have a
> Buddhist view on it. It are all steps to greater wisdom. I am a lucky
> bastard.
> "The master moves from program to program without fear. No failure can
> harm him. Why is this? He is filled with Tao."
>
> But for the other people, young people, needing to study for their
> masters, old managers, need to understand for their decisions,
> politicians, relying on ISO, all these people need easy entrance to
> knowledge. You try to get it of the ground. You should not only do it
> in Spanish, but also in English.
> I think you have a good business-case when OpenEHR as an formal
> definition tries to get more status.
> But you have a bad business-case if it fails on the market. It is not
> only in your hands.
>
> You can comfort yourself with the thought that nothing in life will be
> done in vain. In everything is a lesson. With the lessons you have
> learned, you later can pick up something else.
>
> But besides that, I hope the communities and foundation will support
> you, because it is important work that you do, for us all. If we want
> something to be a success, we have to reach the hearts and minds.
>
> Have a nice day
> Bert

Ocean Informatics <http://www.oceaninformatics.com/>    *Thomas Beale
Chief Technology Officer*
+44 7792 403 613        Specification Program, /open/EHR
<http://www.openehr.org/>
Honorary Research Fellow, UCL <http://www.chime.ucl.ac.uk/>
Chartered IT Professional Fellow, BCS <http://www.bcs.org.uk/>
Health IT blog <http://wolandscat.net/category/health-informatics/>