Thank you Ian, that was a very constructive contribution to the discussion.
I had started writing a response with some of those thoughs:

Since this issue of "ownership" keeps coming up, let's deal with it in a
sensible and polite manner and get it over with even if it requires some
time and patience. Doing it in an open forum like this is perfect. Let all
fears and haunting thoughts come out into the light so that they can be
studied and discussed in detail.

And Gerard, please select less questionable and easily misunderstood
wording than "proprietary" to describe the issue, so that we can understand
the real core issue. There are plenty of other wordings to choose from that
will reduce risks of misunderstanding.Otherwise possibly good intentions in
an "ownership-discussion" will likely be interpreted as you deliberately
wanting to spread FUD
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt> regarding
openEHR, and that is probably not the way you want to be percieved.

Generally speaking; it is natural to feel suspicious if you don't
understand how decisions affecting you are being made and you don't know
how you can influence (or if needed try to replace) the decisionmakers.
Also, it is pretty natural that it is hard to fully understand other
people's suspicions if you are one of the decision makers or if you for
good reasons (experience, knowing their intentions etc) already fully trust
them. (I have seen this from both angles over time.)

That is why perpetual open licenses are such a help, no one can ever take
away the thing you or your project is dependent on.

With licences that are both "forkable" (no ND-clause) and non-contageous
(no SA-clause) like Apache 2 and CC-BY (and CC0) you have even more
protection - you don't even have to trust the decision makers to go the
right way in the future with the project you invested time and resources
in. If they misbehave grossly you can together with enough of the
disgruntled community start a new future for a copy of the project under a
new name.

For fully forkable projects the "who is the IP owner"-arguments ar always
completely irrelevant, don't you agree? Wouldn't the argument regarding
"proprietary" be obviously rediculous in such a context?

For some reason, that I have not yet fully understood, previous and current
leadership of openEHR has not yet dared taking the step to skip all ND- and
SA- clauses. (Like an anxious over-protective parent afraid to give their
now fairly grown teenager enough trust and freedom.) In my mind I sometimes
guess and sense that they have a fear that someone will do some kind of
hostile forking, creating yet another incompatible standard. Who knows,
maybe they fear that Gerard and the 13606-association, CIMI or some other
organization wants to fork all the hard work done by openEHR and manage to
lure the mindshare of the openEHR-community over to another organization? -
There you see an example of the suspicion-mechanism described above: I do
not understand the reasoning for not dropping ND or SA from the license of
different artifacts, thus I start suspecting and guessing things...
Probably not the most constructive way of reasoning, but that is a way our
minds often work; filling out the blanks with guessing.

In the case of openEHR suspicions of biased leadership possibly favoring a
single company or other party (intentionally or just by lack of broader
perspectives/understanding) or perhaps having a hidden patent/IP-claim
coming up were easier to understand some years ago before openEHR, as now,
had several different (often competing) companies and organizations inside
specification comittee and management.

Best regards,
Erik Sundvall
Ph.D. Medical Informatics. Information Architect. Tel: +46-72-524 54 55 (or
010-1036252 in Sweden)
Region Östergötland: erik.sundv...@regionostergotland.se (previously lio.se)
http://www.regionostergotland.se/cmit/
Linköping University: erik.sundv...@liu.se, http://www.imt.liu.se/~erisu/