On 26-01-18 14:27, Thomas Beale wrote:

yes I agree with this. We should do something about it.

I am glad you think so too. Thanks to Silje for bringing it u initially.

I think, there is already much possible with only few changes, the ideas expressed by Diego help a lot.

On the archetype side we need to define the UCUM-property for constraint, and units mandatory.
On the dataset-side only the value and the unit name is necessary.

The dataset-validating software must then check against the UCUM-definitions if the used unit and value can be used in the context of the property.

This would be a great improvement because worldwide, every DvQuantity value could be calculated to its appropriate value. Fahrenheit and miles for some countries, and Celcius and Kilometer for some other countries, and of course many other local used units.

The best way to achieve it, in my opinion, (but I am sure I don't see the whole picture), would be to make units in DvQuantity of type STRING *OR* by term-binding.

We already know alternative datatypes, which are sometimes used in ELEMENT/value. So the use would then be to have to alternative values for the ELEMENT, one for the string-type DvQuantity, one for the coded type, so there would never be a problem with interpreting.

In this way it would remain backwards compatible and also allow to support units to be checked against a (any) terminology. It is also that, besides UCUM, SNOMED also defines units, and there can be data, maybe from legacy systems, which use SNOMED-terms for a unit (maybe there are also translated units, if so, SNOMED takes care for that, and I also found on google there is a mapping between SNOMED and UCUM coming up or already finished).

And the only thing needed to change in the RM would be an addition for the DvQuantity-unit-type, without losing backwards compatibility.

I wouldn't have come tot his idea without the discussion this morning, and I am sure there is more to it then I see.
But this kind of solution, I think is the best I can think of.

Bert

- thomas