We should fix this documentation - can you create a PR for this?

thanks

- thomas

On 26/01/2018 07:53, Sebastian Garde wrote:

it certainly specifies it <https://www.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/docs/data_types/data_types.html#_dv_quantity_class>. If there are tools and implementations that don't respect this, they are non-compliant and will get found out ;)

*/[SG] /*The first reference https://www.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/docs/data_types/data_types.html#_dv_quantity_class is more an “inspiration”: “Units were inspired by the Unified Code for Units of Measure (UCUM) <http://unitsofmeasure.org/ucum.html>, developed by Gunther Schadow and Clement J. McDonald of The Regenstrief Institute.”

The 2^nd reference is clearer: “Stringified units, expressed in UCUM unit syntax, e.g. "kg/m2", “mm[Hg]", "ms-1", "km/h".” This is where I think that not only it is stated that openEHR uses UCUM (and not some part or “inspiration” of it), but also implies that the case sensitive version of it is used (which in my view is important to know at least for some of the units). I still think it would be good to explicitly say that the case-sensitive version is used?

The unit strings in the terminology are to help archetype tooling, but I would say that all tools and systems in the future should be using a 'UCUM service' that does not yet exist, but knows about all unit strings, properties and so on. This is something we could easily specify and implement, if there is not already one in existence.

*/[SG] Agree – such a  UCUM service may also be able to give a print version, e.g. /**°C instead of CEL or °F instead of **[degF]**//*

*/Sebastian/*

*//*

--
Thomas Beale