Title: Re: Clinical IT increases the time intensive care nurses spend documentingcare.
Perhaps the focus of the study was not quality of patient care but the fiscal return on the technology investment through staff efficiency and possibly staff reduction.

On 5/6/05 2:30 PM, "Thomas Beale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

J. Antas wrote:

>A study published at the Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. (2005 Jan;49(1):62-5.)
> documents what seems to be an emerging (and rather unexpected) trend:
>Clinical IT (HIS) systems increase the time that healthcare workers
>spend documenting their activities and not the other way around.
>
>One could always argue that those systems bring other advantages to the
>patient and to the care providers, but the fact still remains: they take
>extra time from the healthcare providers and we should be aware of that.

Be careful here: it depends on what systems, how they were used, what
information was captured (versus what used to be captured on paper) and
many other factors. Including how the study was done.

I just reviewed four finalist papers for inclusion in the EHR section of
the IMIA yearbook 2005, and none reported this trend; from memory 2
reported the reverse trend, and all reported better quality in some form.

- thomas beale

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain
confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipients named above. If
you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this
communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or
copying of it or its contents is prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer. Thank you.