On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 04:15, J. Antas wrote:
> A study published at the Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. (2005 Jan;49(1):62-5.)
>  documents what seems to be an emerging (and rather unexpected) trend:
> Clinical IT (HIS) systems increase the time that healthcare workers
> spend documenting their activities and not the other way around.

With paper records, the nurses in my institution may spend an hour or
more *after* their scheduled shift is done, creating the paper record.

If an IT system requires concurrent documentation, any time-and-motion
study will find the IT system to require more time for record creation
because the record-creation activities often occur "out of sight" in the
paper world.

My own experience, rather limited I must say, is that getting *to* the
data-recording step with IT can be rather cumbersome, even if the actual
typing is easy.  A "smart" system will pop up the entry fields when
needed, but making it "smart" may be quite an undertaking indeed.

Dan Johnson md