FOIAVistA SemiVivA 20060113 is now available and can be downloaded from
Source Forge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista).  A SemiVivA
package is an installation of VistA that is bundled with GT.M and ready
for use if you alreay have a PC running Linux.

Assuming that the distribution file is downloaded on your PC
as /Distrib/VistA/FOIAVistASemiVivA20060113.tgz, you can install it with
the following commands which must be executed as root:

  cd /usr/local
  tar zxvf /Distrib/VistA/FOIAVistASemiVivA20060113.tgz

This OpenVistA SemiVivA is slightly different from (i.e., hopefully
better than) its predecessors.

When OpenVistA SemiVivA 20060113 is installed on your PC in a
development environment, the intent is that the files distributed with
this release will not normally be modified (unless, for example, you
move to a new GT.M release and need to recompile and generate new object
files) - please read http://tinyurl.com/738jk for a discussion of the
model.

This OpenVistA SemiVivA comes pre-configured as a Release.  You can
still use the "vista" script to demo VistA, but I expect that you are
more likely to use the "install" script to set up integration and
development environments and the "run" script thence to run an installed
environment.

This OpenVistA also comes able to handle a direct connection from a CPRS
GUI, as well as the latest CPRS GUI itself the program CPRSChart.exe
in /usr/local/FOIAVistA20060113/CPRS_Gui).  To enable an installed
environment to handle a CPRS GUI connection request, you will need to do
the following:

1. Choose a port, e.g., 9297.

2. Identify the environment to handle the connection, and the userid for
the server process (e.g., /home/kbhaskar/myVistA and kbhaskar).

3. Add 2 lines to /etc/services, thus:

cprs-gui        9297/tcp
cprs-gui        9297/udp

The second line is not required, but it is traditional to reserve TCP
and UDP ports together.

4. Determine whether you are running inetd or xinetd as the "Internet
superserver".  If you are running inetd, you will need a line such as
the following in your inetd.conf:

cprs-gui stream tcp nowait kbhaskar /home/kbhaskar/myVistA/cprs_direct

If you are running xinetd, you will need something like:

service cprs-gui
    {
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = stream
        wait            = no
        user            = kbhaskar
        server          = /home/kbhaskar/myVistA/cprs_direct
    }

(I don't use xinetd, so the above is my guess as to what the entry
should be.)

5. Restart inetd/xinetd (on Debian GNU/Linux systems, this is a line
like /etc/init.d/inetd restart).

6. You may need to configure your firewall to allow connections on port
9297.

A CPRS GUI client should now be able to connect.  If you have wine
installed on your Linux machine, you can try running the CPRS GUI on
Linux with (one line, look out for line breaks):

wine /usr/local/FOIAVistA20060113/CPRS_Gui/CPRSChart.exe s=localhost
p=9297 SPLASH=OFF CCOW=DISABLE

Good luck.

I promised to document the process of creating a SemiVivA package from a
FOIA release, and I have copious notes that I need to convert into
something readable.  I will do that after I create FOIAVistA VivA
20060113.

Regards
-- Bhaskar