My views haven't changed.  Obviously
the patient can't do it him/herself.  This
typically requires an agent involved, but
the patient is a key ingredient of the process.
The patient doesn't have the record in
his/her possession although they are likely
to have a copy updated to a certain point
in time.  The idea we proposed would
work across international boundaries.
It basically has a mechanism to identify
a patient and then link multiple records
together dynamically to create a view
of the medical record that could be used
in multiple locations for different purposes.
The patient would have the ability
to control access to the information.
The author of the data (presumably the
GP) would have control over the
viewing of the data they generated until
they sign off on it.

Dave