On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 10:24:52AM +0000, 80n wrote:

> Is it doable to create new descriptions from just the codes.  Unless the
> meaning of each code is common knowledge then you have to make recourse to
> the original description, which makes your description a derived work at the
> very least.
Ah, I missed that point. That might be a bit of a problem, indeed.

> Is there any clean-room way of arriving at a description that could not be
> construed to have been derived from the AMA's original description?
On driver re-engineering this is sometimes done by two teams
of people: one team knowing the original driver and
describing how the *peripheral* (not the driver) works based
on what can be derived from the original driver. The second
team implements (clean-rooms) a new driver based on the
description of how the peripheral works given by the first
team.

So, the first team could tell the second *in their own
terms* (based on their knowledge) what the CPT codes *mean*.
The second team could come up with a label for that code
based on the description given by the first team.

This might work. And it could indeed include the patient, too.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346