The copyright covers "expressions of ideas", not the ideas themselves.
 You can certainly reference the original "idea" (description) and
create a new "expression".  A "derivative work" includes some portion
of the original verbatim and that should be avoided.

The idea of the patient not being able to access billing information
(the description) without purchase of the codes is an interesting
ramification of the current odd situation.  I seem to recall that
there was a person who did set up a web site with the CPT codes so
that patients could access their billing information.  He was sued by
the AMA and the web site was closed.  I don't know if this was
litigated fully or he just ran out of money.

However, I think Tim Cook's suggestion that we devote our energy to
some more important standards issue or open source project is a good
one that we should consider.

Regardless of the "fairness" or legality of the current situation with
CPT codes, there are bigger fish to fry.  The AMA has been very
aggressive in defending all of the real and perceived IP rights to CPT
and this is a battle that we really don't want to start.

/Mark