Fred Trotter wrote:
> The software in question was not VistA at all. It was developed internally
> at Medsphere. We are simply talking about a company that placed an "open
> source" offering on sourceforge and then, dramatically, had the software
> removed.
>
> They have since released one of the items they yanked under an "open sourcy"
> badgeware license (OSI is debating internally regarding the validity of
> badgeware),  they have also released some changes to VistA as GPL. They have
> also released public statements that they will always keep 5% proprietary.
> As a result Medsphere is a hybrid company, both "open source" and
> proprietary.

Just as an aside, it is better to use the term 'closed source' instead
of proprietary. "Proprietary" means someone owns the code, and that
applies to the vast majority of open source code - copyright is clearly
asserted on the code, and some rights are reserved by the copyright
holder (and some rights are granted, as specified in teh open source
license that applies to the code in question).

> I would suggest that they should be listed on the OSCHA
> website, but along side IBM which also releases both FOSS and proprietary
> medical software. There is a difference between companies that commit to
> releasing everything under a FSF and OSI approved licenses, like mine, and
> those that do not. I would hope that OSCHA would make the distinction.

This is a policy question for OSHCA to consider, and debate should
probably take place on the OSHCA mailing list. However, my view, that i
will expressing there, is that with the exception of "badgeware", OSHCA
should support and applaud all open source releases of health-related
software, on an application-by-application basis, not on a
company-by-company basis. The key test should be whether what is
released as open source has some utility or potential utility to others.
Thus, if a company, like, say IBM, has huge software holdings but
chooses to only release a few percent of those holdings as open source,
then those bits that it does release as open source should have OSHCA's
support, and the company should be praised for doing so (with the addded
message that releasing even more as open source would be better), and
not condemned or shunned by OSHCA because it chooses to pursue mixed
open- and closed-source licensing strategies. At the same time, OSHCA
must take care not to promote or endorse as open source software or
applications which are not actually available under an open source
license, even if those application are themselves built with open source
components.

Tim C