On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 08:29 AM, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:

Richard, you continue to miss the point.  This isn't about you (OS) vs me
(linux).  I would wager that for every opensolaris user there are at least
10 linux users.  Getting them to use OS (which is better in many ways,
granted), making the environment more familiar is essential, IMO.  You are
of course, free to disagree.  Just saying, I've been through this before...

GNU userland is already available in a big way with Nexenta and partly available in OpenIndiana. GNU awk, GNU tar, gcc, GNU make, yada yada.

But if you want to change the way things are done in /etc, please go elsewhere. Even in Linux land, things are in a big flux at the moment with /etc although certain things like network configuration are not changing but distro differ from distro in things like that. I don't see a problem with OpenIndiana differing too.