I think the first hurdle is to get people to sign the CLA. Having to print
a copy, sign it, and find a fax machine or scanner to resend it seems kind
of archaic in this day and age.  That said, e-signing a PDF shouldn't be
too difficult, but it would be better if it were simply a form that you
attached your public key to. This would serve 2 purposes: (1) you have a
proxy for a signature, (2) the key could be used to access the repo.

That said, even that might be too much for people who just have a quick bug
fix that they'd like to see reviewed and merged.

Cheers,

Mark