Maybe I misunderstood the question but to my opinion the real question is
whether the new java packager has to provide the support for a splash screen
or not. This has nothing to do with the question whether applications should
have a splash screen or not because if we find that todays Java is fast enough
to display a simple window in less than a second or so, then the Java GUI
(Swing or JavaFX) could provide a splash screen itself. There is then no need
for an additional mechanism provided my the packager.